[Lustre-discuss] Failover & recovery issues / questions

Mon Mar 30 18:16:30 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-03-30 at 17:52 -0700, Jeffrey Bennett wrote:
> Thanks Kevin for clearing this up.
>
> So when the manual mentions "Load-balanced Active/Active configuration", what does that mean?

It simply means out of all of the OSTs that both machines can see/use,
you mount 50% of them on one machine and the other 50% on the other with
the capability of one machine taking 100% of them should it's partner
die.

> I have never tried it, but I expected it to be different from the "Active/Passive" configuration on the MDS.

I suppose you could call an MDS active/active if you had two
filesystems, and therefore two MDTs and you mounted each one active on
each machine.  But we typically talk in terms of a single filesystem,
hence the active/passive nomenclature.

b.