[Lustre-discuss] v1.8 manual question

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Mon May 11 04:28:05 PDT 2009

Hi,

I had a quick skim through the v1.8 Lustre manual and in section 4.4 there is a mention of the --cachefor and --proxyfor options to mkfs.lustre. I didn't think Lustre had such functionality yet? Are these planned for a 1.8x release? How do they work exactly? In the recent discussion of Lustre as root there was mention of using FS-Cache for client read caching - how would this differ from the --cachefor feature (could it do read caching?). We are quite interested in using an NFS gateway to Lustre which would have local caching for WAN operation so any client caching would be very beneficial to us.

Regards,

Daire