[Lustre-discuss] v1.8 manual question

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon May 11 08:27:44 PDT 2009

On May 11, 2009  12:28 +0100, Daire Byrne wrote:
> I had a quick skim through the v1.8 Lustre manual and in section
> 4.4 there is a mention of the --cachefor and --proxyfor options to
> mkfs.lustre. I didn't think Lustre had such functionality yet? Are these
> planned for a 1.8x release? How do they work exactly?

I don't believe we support these options at all, as I can't find any
such options in the code.  I'll bring this up with our documentation
team.

> In the recent discussion of Lustre as root there was mention of
> using FS-Cache for client read caching - how would this differ from the
> --cachefor feature (could it do read caching?). We are quite interested
> in using an NFS gateway to Lustre which would have local caching for
> WAN operation so any client caching would be very beneficial to us.

I haven't heard any update on this feature, but AFAIK the fscache work
is the only one progressing on this front today.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.