[Lustre-discuss] lustre support on suse 11 with PPC64

Wed Nov 4 13:05:56 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 11:06 -0600, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:

> Not that this is a big deal realistically, since it would be difficult
> to find PPC64 hardware that works well for a server, unless you roll
> your own embedded system...

Sure.  But it counts for all machines of the same endianess, not just
ppc64.

> But why? The linux kernel has no problems providing an endian-clean
> and wordsize-clean environment to operate in.

Sure, but Lustre is quite a bit more than just a driver in any one Linux
kernel.  There is an entire networking stack written from the ground up,
not to mention the VFS client and server modules.  And Lustre is a lot
bigger (I mean in concept) than the Linux kernel.  The Linux kernel has
the luxury of only having to deal with a single endianess at a time.
Lustre has to deal with potentially different endianesses all at once.

To be sure, these are not at all insurmountable difficulties.  They are
just things that are not being demanded enough to warrant attention
(yet).  As always, we accept patches.

> Are Sparc64 servers supported?

I don't know.  Are they the same endianess as ppc64?  If so, then no.

b.