[Lustre-discuss] renamed directory retains a dentry under its old name?

Phil Schwan phils at dugeo.com
Thu Nov 19 05:09:33 PST 2009

G'day Brian!  Glad to see you've stuck around!

2009/11/19 Brian J. Murrell <Brian.Murrell at sun.com>:

> So would this be a valid reproducer:
>
> tty1$ mkdir foo.working
> tty2$ while stat foo.working; do echo; done
> tty2: [ loop continues, stating foo.working ]
> tty1$ mv foo.{working,done}
>
> Where the loop on tty2 should continue beyond the mv on tty1?

It should be, except it isn't.  Your steps are correct, I believe (Stu
may correct me), but we also tried that without any luck.

I'm not much involved in our production ops (just helping out with
this bug), but I believe that this is a relatively new idiom for our
scripts.  It's common for our scripts to poll waiting for a file to
_exist_, but this polling to not exist is new.  ...so it's hard to say
precisely how rare or common this problem is, yet.

But alas, our simple test didn't work either.

Cheers,

-p