[Lustre-discuss] Adaptive Timeouts in Lustre 1.6.x vs. 1.8.x

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Nov 20 09:34:17 PST 2009

On 2009-11-20, at 04:00, Alvaro Aguilera wrote:
> I was wondering if some could explain to me the differences -if any-
> in the implementation of adaptive timeouts in Lustre 1.8.x compared
> to Lustre 1.6.x.
> Adaptive timeouts are advertised as one of the new features in
> Lustre 1.8 but they were already available in Lustre 1.6 (only
> disabled in the default configuration).

They are disabled in 1.6 by default to avoid introducing problems
while they were being tested by some large sites.

> Are they any better in Lustre 1.8?

I _think_ they are the same, but I'm not 100% sure that there weren't
bug fixes from the version that was landed in 1.6 vs. what is in 1.8
today.  Maybe someone else can comment?

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.