[Lustre-discuss] OSS server

Mon Nov 30 07:31:13 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 11:23 +0100, Stefano Elmopi wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,
> - one server with MGS/MDS
> - one server with OSS
> - the OST is on SAN
>

> If the server OSS has a hardware failure
> and I must physically change the machine.

If the machine boots from the network then the new system is a drop-in
replacement for the broken machine and you need to do nothing, right?

Or if the system boots from it's own disk you would either a) put the
disk from the broken OSS into the new hardware or b) re-image the OSS
and configure it to be identical (IP address, etc.) as the machine that
died, or c) restore the system image from a backup or d) some other
reasonable facsimile/combination of the above options that results in
the new machine being a like-replacement for the broken machine.

None of this is really all that particular to Lustre though and it just
typical syadmin practises that one would follow for replacing any
machine that dies.  When your mail server dies, what do you do to
replace it such that it's an identical (to the users) replacement?  Same
situation for an OSS.

> With the new machines, how can I retrieve data on the OST, located on
> SAN ?

Once the new machine is configured identical to the one it's replacing,
it will just access that OST as if nothing happened, no?

> I hope to be clear enough !!

I think you are.  I guess the not-really-particular-to-Lustre nature of
the question had me somewhat thinking that there must be something I was
missing.  I guess there was not.

b.