[Lustre-discuss] MDS overload, why?

Fri Oct 9 07:23:49 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 16:15 +0200, Arne Brutschy wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> thanks for replying!

NP.

> I understand that without further information we can't do much about the
> oopses.

Not just the oopses.  It's pretty hard to diagnose any problem without
data.

> I was more hoping for some information regarding possible
> sources of such an overload.

The possibilities are endless.  Lustre is a complex system with many,
many interactions with many other components.  Sure, I could make stab
in the dark guesses like too little memory, too slow disk, etc., but
none of those are actually useful for anything more than a shopping trip
and even then new hardware might still not solve your problem.

> How can I find the source of the problem?

Examine the logs.  Lustre logs a lot of information when things are
going wrong.

b.