[Lustre-discuss] A question on time out

Stefano Elmopi stefano.elmopi at sociale.it
Wed Oct 21 05:28:45 PDT 2009

Hi,

I tell you that I am a novice to Lustre.
I have the following Lustre configuration:
OSS1
   mount -t lustre /dev/sdc /LUSTRE_02
   mount -t lustre 10.43.105.50 at tcp0:/lustre02 /LUSTRE_02

   where /dev/sdc è a SAN partition of 100GB

OSS2
   mount -t lustre /dev/sdb /LUSTRE_02
   mount -t lustre 10.43.105.50 at tcp0:/lustre02 /LUSTRE_02

   where /dev/sdb è a SAN partition of 70GB

for a total of a lustre02 filesystem of 170GB

I have un client:
CLIENT1
   mount -t lustre 10.43.105.50 at tcp0:/lustre02 /LUSTRE_02

At this point I launch a copy of a large file on lustre02 by CLIENT1,
I see what node OSS is used for the copy and shutdown it.
The current operation is suspended and here I wonder:
how long it hangs ??
I read the manual and I expected that the client, after a bit of time,
try another OSS and ended the operation.
Obviously I did not understand well.
The operation hangs for a long time, until I kill the process !!
The section of the manual is:
TIPS on tha page 8-23

With this configuration, it's possible insert a third OSS
that do by failover for both OSS ?

Thanks

Ing. Stefano Elmopi
Gruppo Darco - Resp. ICT Sistemi