[Lustre-discuss] vbox and ofed/IB

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Oct 26 15:20:01 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-26, at 08:53, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 09:52 -0500, Dr. Hung-Sheng Tsao wrote:
>> I try to setup lustre in vbox env
>> I can do rhel5.3 and lustre1.8.1.1
>> what is better way to test ofed ?
>
> Hrm.  I'm not really sure what you are asking here given that VBox
> is a
> virtual environment, which AFAIK does not virtualize any I/B hardware.
> I can't imagine how OFED is relevant in such a situation.

Unless something is new that I'm not aware of, I suspect the only way to
access the IB network from inside the VM would be via IPoIB, which would
hurt performance noticably, and increase system loading due to the lack
of RDMA support from the TCP LND.

>> I can  do ge with iscsi storage but how do u test the IB/OFED stack?
>
> I think this is a question for the VBox folks, on how I/B can be
> virtualized, or perhaps passed through to a VBox VM.
>
> Once that is taken care of, as far as Lustre is concerned, it should
> be
> business as usual.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.