[Lustre-discuss] SCSI driver problem on 2.6.22.19 + lustre 1.8.1?

Nirmal Seenu nirmal at fnal.gov
Tue Sep 1 08:05:40 PDT 2009

Hi Brain,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I build my own kernel with vanilla 2.6.22.19 kernel source +
2.6.22-vanilla patch series and kernel_config files provided by Lustre
with no additional patches to lustre or the kernel.

I have stopped using the Redhat kernels on our servers as the 1GHz clock
used by the Redhat kernels causes a lot of timeouts/errors under heavy
I/O. 2.6.22.19 kernel with 250MHz clock is pretty much rock solid on our
servers.

I did a fresh kernel build with 2.6.22.19 + Lustre 1.8.0.1 patches
yesterday on our test machines and it worked fine. When I reverted back
to the kernel build with 2.6.22.19 + Lustre 1.8.1 patches it worked as
well without any problem.

I am confused on why I am not able to reproduce these errors on the test
machine while it is consistently reproducible on our production servers.
I could possibly try it again on my production server sometime in the
next few days. I will also take a close look at the patches and try
adding them incrementally.

If I understand it correctly, I could apply the patches from
Lustre-1.8.0.1 and build the 2.6.22.19 kernel and then build/install
Lustre-1.8.1 against that kernel.

Thanks
Nirmal