[Lustre-discuss] Oops: Lustre mount of MDS causes kernel panic in mds_free_client

Dave Johnson ddj at ccv.brown.edu
Fri Sep 4 05:45:03 PDT 2009

Our lustre filesystem is unable to run because the MDS host
crashes immediately while mounting the metadata file system.
It is accessing an invalid address (deadbeef) in the routine
mds_free_client.  The Lustre version is 1.6.0.1.  Copying the
crash log from the console by hand (lost the password to the
management processors so we can't do serial console anymore):

mount.lustre  Cannot handle kernel paging request mds_client_free+612
Trace:
mds_destroy_export
obdclass:class_export_destroy
obdclass:obd_zombie_impexp_call
obdclass:class_detach
obdclass:class_process_config
obdclass:class_manual_cleanup
obdclass:lustre_fill_super

I found messages in the mailing list about removing CATALOGS and OBJECTS/*
and mounting using -o abort_recov.  I tried these things, in addition to
removing PENDING/* (all empty files).  This last crash trace was done
(accidentally) without the -o abort_recov mount option, but the outcome
did not improve on the earlier attempts.

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

 -- ddj

Dave Johnson
Brown University CCV