[Lustre-discuss] Upgrade 32-bit kernel to 64-bit kernel for MDS

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Sep 10 06:26:17 PDT 2009

On Sep 10, 2009  16:17 +0800, huangql wrote:
>       We got a high frequency of MDS node crash this days in our
> Lustre system. However, it's not clear what to cause it. According to
> the current filesystem, there are 20 OSS with 64-bit kernel except the
> MDS with 32-bit kernel. So we want to use 64-bit kernel instead.
>
> But we are worried about the metedata will be dirty after we upgrade
> 32-bit kernel to 64-bit kernel for MDS. Can you give us some points?

The on-disk format for 32-bit and 64-bit filesystems is the same.
The only thing you need to ensure is that both 64-bit kernel+modules
and 64-bit userspace Lustre RPMs are installed.  Otherwise there can
be problems with the user->kernel ioctl commands.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.