[Lustre-discuss] Removing an OST from the filesystem

Christopher J. Walker C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk
Sat Sep 19 13:22:00 PDT 2009

In the Lustre manual 4.2.10.1 "Removing an OST from the File System", it
  tells you to how to deactivate the OSC on the MDT so no files are
written to the OST, then says:

3 Use "lfs find" to discover all files that have objects residing on the
deactivated OST.

4 Copy (not move) the files to a new directory in the file system.
Copying the files forces object re-creation on the active OSTs

5 Move (not copy) the files back to their original directory on in the
file system.
Moving the files causes the original files to be deleted, as the copies
replace them.

I can't convince myself there isn't a race condition here if a file is
being written to during this process.

What happens if a file is being written to when I mark the OST offline,
and continues to be written to during the copy and move?

Chris