[Lustre-discuss] Removing an OST from the filesystem

Sun Sep 20 05:37:41 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 22:22 +0200, Christopher J. Walker wrote:
> In the Lustre manual 4.2.10.1 "Removing an OST from the File System", it
>   tells you to how to deactivate the OSC on the MDT so no files are
> written to the OST, then says:

> I can't convince myself there isn't a race condition here

That's good because there are race conditions in this operation.

> if a file is
> being written to during this process.

Yup.

> What happens if a file is being written to when I mark the OST offline,
> and continues to be written to during the copy and move?

When you mark the OST as inactive on the MDS, the only thing you are
doing is telling the MDS not to assign *new* objects to this OST.  That
does not at all prevent use of existing objects, whether that is for
read or write.

If you really want to prevent all I/O to the OST you need to deactivate
it on the clients too.  This of course will provide the clients with
EIOs to I/O operations to that OST.

This operation of moving files off an OST really is best done with the
filesystem "quiesced".

There were discussions at our last engineering summit of features which
would provide us the ability to close such race conditions, but they
were only discussions and I don't know if any actual design and/or code
has resulted from them.

b.