[Lustre-discuss] Lustre client kernel panic

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Sat Sep 26 11:20:19 PDT 2009

Hello!

On Sep 26, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

>> Unfortunately that was the only info I could get. The client had no
>> information in the logs about what happened.
> They usually don't when they panic.

Right.
RHEL configured to have panic on oops too, if you disable that (in /
etc/sysctl.conf)
there is a bigger chance oopses would make it to the log.

> netconsole can usually be useful as a substitute for a physically
> connected serial console.  Do you know if the client kernel has
> netconsole (usually bundled with netdump) available?  Can you put a
> new
> kernel on the client that includes netdump?  You could set up a
> netdump
> server somewhere (across the Internet even) then and see if you can
> get
> anything useful when it panics.

Alternatively you can try to configure kdump and dump the entire
panicked kernel image to local disk which potentially has even
more chances to contain useful information in case of panics.

Bye,
     Oleg