[Lustre-discuss] Lustre client kernel panic

Nick Jennings nick at creativemotiondesign.com
Sun Sep 27 05:58:25 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-09-26 at 14:20 -0400, Oleg Drokin wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2009, at 9:37 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>
> >> Unfortunately that was the only info I could get. The client had no
> >> information in the logs about what happened.
> > They usually don't when they panic.
>
> Right.
> RHEL configured to have panic on oops too, if you disable that (in /
> etc/sysctl.conf)
> there is a bigger chance oopses would make it to the log.
>
> > netconsole can usually be useful as a substitute for a physically
> > connected serial console.  Do you know if the client kernel has
> > netconsole (usually bundled with netdump) available?  Can you put a
> > new
> > kernel on the client that includes netdump?  You could set up a
> > netdump
> > server somewhere (across the Internet even) then and see if you can
> > get
> > anything useful when it panics.
>
> Alternatively you can try to configure kdump and dump the entire
> panicked kernel image to local disk which potentially has even
> more chances to contain useful information in case of panics.

I can look into all of these possibilities soon, and try to get more
information the next time it happens, but as I understand it from
reading the bug, this is already a known issue, and hasn't been fixed
yet (slated for 2.0 release as of now). Correct? If so, is the data I
gather really of much use?

Thanks,
Nick