[Lustre-discuss] Unable to write to filesystem (device full)

Tue Sep 29 04:45:15 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 12:40 +0200, Nick Jennings wrote:
> Hi Again,

Hi,

>  I guess I spoke too soon. Looks like the MDS is full, even though it
> still has plenty of space, it's reporting that it's reached it's inode
> limit. Not sure how this is fixed.

Hrm.  Well, definitely, creating a new, bigger MDS is one sure fire way
to go.  This includes a backup, re-create (of the existing MDS) and
restore operation.  Be careful with it though.  It seems lots of people
have trouble with it.  Measure twice and cut once at every step.

> I am also having a hard time finding
> information about this (I wish PDF text was searchable).

PDF is searchable.  It is in evince at least.  Why do you need to search
PDF to get information about this?

> I tried to grow the MDT +50G with the following:
>
> # lvextend  -L +50G /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
>   Extending logical volume mdt to 90.00 GB
>   Logical volume mdt successfully resized

Oh, it's on an LV?  Good.

> # resize2fs -p /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
> resize2fs 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
> resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported read-only feature(s) :-
> uninit_groups

Hrm.  I don't recall if I've tried to resize a recently created lustre
target.  I know I resized one several times not that long ago, but it's
lineage was ancient so it wouldn't have had new features on it like
uninit groups.

I also don't recall if resize2fs actually adds inodes or not.

> Didn't seem to work. So I've got a 90G LVM slice allocated to the MDT
> which is only using 35G of that

Well, it doesn't have to be 90G.  You can lvreduce it again to get back
to whatever it was before you lvextended it.  Maybe slightly bigger if
you are paranoid.

> (can't get it to grow to use the rest).
> Of that 35G, 24G is still free but my inode limit is at 99% and I'm not
> sure how to extend that.

Well, short of hunting down the issue with resize2fs and uninit_groups,
you could create a new LV for a new MDT and *carefully* copy your
existing MDT to it.  Be sure to copy EAs!  This stuff is all in the
manual and have been on this list many, many times.  The archives are
your friend.

b.