[Lustre-discuss] Unable to write to filesystem (device full)

Nick Jennings nick at creativemotiondesign.com
Tue Sep 29 05:22:25 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 07:45 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 12:40 +0200, Nick Jennings wrote:
> > Hi Again,
>
> Hi,
>
> >  I guess I spoke too soon. Looks like the MDS is full, even though it
> > still has plenty of space, it's reporting that it's reached it's inode
> > limit. Not sure how this is fixed.
>
> Hrm.  Well, definitely, creating a new, bigger MDS is one sure fire way
> to go.  This includes a backup, re-create (of the existing MDS) and
> restore operation.  Be careful with it though.  It seems lots of people
> have trouble with it.  Measure twice and cut once at every step.
>
> > I am also having a hard time finding
> > information about this (I wish PDF text was searchable).
>
> PDF is searchable.  It is in evince at least.  Why do you need to search
> PDF to get information about this?

 Yeah, just forgot it was there. Flashback to the old days :)

> > I tried to grow the MDT +50G with the following:
> >
> > # lvextend  -L +50G /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
> >   Extending logical volume mdt to 90.00 GB
> >   Logical volume mdt successfully resized
>
> Oh, it's on an LV?  Good.
>
> > # resize2fs -p /dev/vg-localdisk/mdt
> > resize2fs 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
> > resize2fs: Filesystem has unsupported read-only feature(s) :-
> > uninit_groups
>
> Hrm.  I don't recall if I've tried to resize a recently created lustre
> target.  I know I resized one several times not that long ago, but it's
> lineage was ancient so it wouldn't have had new features on it like
> uninit groups.
>
> I also don't recall if resize2fs actually adds inodes or not.
>
> > Didn't seem to work. So I've got a 90G LVM slice allocated to the MDT
> > which is only using 35G of that
>
> Well, it doesn't have to be 90G.  You can lvreduce it again to get back
> to whatever it was before you lvextended it.  Maybe slightly bigger if
> you are paranoid.

 Ok, I will shrink it down with a little extra room just to be safe.

> > (can't get it to grow to use the rest).
> > Of that 35G, 24G is still free but my inode limit is at 99% and I'm not
> > sure how to extend that.
>
> Well, short of hunting down the issue with resize2fs and uninit_groups,
> you could create a new LV for a new MDT and *carefully* copy your
> existing MDT to it.  Be sure to copy EAs!  This stuff is all in the
> manual and have been on this list many, many times.  The archives are
> your friend.

 I'm having trouble finding concrete examples searching for "MDT
migration" "Moving MDT" and other variations. Anywhere you could point
me to specifically? I also can't seem to find the relevant spot in the
manual.

Thanks for your help Brian!
-Nick