[Lustre-discuss] iSCSI Integration Solutions

Pete Eby peby at sagonet.com
Tue Sep 29 07:24:36 PDT 2009

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> By this do you mean that you have iscsi luns which you have configured
> lustre to use for it's storage and serve that to lustre clients?  Or do
> you mean that you have configured a lustre installation and now want to
> re-export the filesystem from lustre clients to other clients via iscsi?

Hi Brian - thanks very much for your reply - sorry I was no clear on
what I would like to do. Your are correct in that I have configured a
luster installation and want to re-export the file system from luster to
other clients via iSCSI  - and I can't quite seem to grasp how this can
be done.

> I'm starting to feel like you want lustre to be an iscsi "service".
> That's not possible.  Lustre presents a filesystem, not storage devices.

Yea, I don't expect Luster itself to present iSCSI, but rather how take
advantage of an presented luster FS and re-export as iSCSI.

My goal (like others before me I see from Google) is to use the benefits
of Lustre as a clustered, scalable storage solution and re-export it
through iSCSI (which will eventually be used by VMs).

It seems like this is possible, but I am missing how to bridge between
say a Luster client, connecting to an exported Luster FS and re-offering
 that file systems through iSCSI. We have plenty of hardware to use and
can provide redundancy on the lower layers and can scale this well, so
this is very much of interest to me.

Thanks for your time Brian, I appreciate it.

Pete