[Lustre-discuss] iSCSI Integration Solutions

Mon Sep 28 09:22:14 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-28 at 12:10 -0400, Pete Eby wrote:
> Hello Everyone,

Hi,

> I have built a test Lustre cluster and we are performing some
> feasibility studies to determine how well it may work as a storage
> solution for a project we have. As part of this I would like to server
> out iSCSI luns using Lustre.

By this do you mean that you have iscsi luns which you have configured
lustre to use for it's storage and serve that to lustre clients?  Or do
you mean that you have configured a lustre installation and now want to
re-export the filesystem from lustre clients to other clients via iscsi?

> I would like to know if any one is running some combination of Luster
> and iSCSI and if so what method are they using to do so.

If you mean iscsi as lustre's storage, if it's a block device, lustre
can use it.  So if you configure your iscsi luns on the lustre servers,
you should be able to configure those luns into the lustre filesystem.

> Can you just
> run iSCSI on the same CentOS MDS server and server out the luns?

I'm starting to feel like you want lustre to be an iscsi "service".
That's not possible.  Lustre presents a filesystem, not storage devices.

> Also, does the next version of Lustre plan to have any kind of iSCSI
> integration?

For what you seem to want, no.  There are no plans of that nature at all
in the roadmap as far as I know.

b.