[Lustre-discuss] Lost Files - How to remove from MDT

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Sun Apr 18 10:14:27 PDT 2010

On 2010-04-18, at 07:16, Charles Taylor wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2010, at 9:35 AM, Miguel Afonso Oliveira wrote:
>> You are going to have to use "unlink" with something like this:
>>
>> for file in lost_files
>> 	unlink $file
>
> Nope.   That's really no different than "rm" and produces the same
> result...
>
> unlink /scratch/crn/bwang/NCS/1O5P/1o5p_wat.prmtop
> unlink: cannot unlink `/scratch/crn/bwang/NCS/1O5P/1o5p_wat.prmtop':
> Invalid argument

This surprises me that "unlink" doesn't work, since that is the answer
I was going to give also.  Did you also verify that after this message
is posted, that the file isn't actually unlinked?  I suspect that the
file name was unlinked, but an error is returned from destroying the
OST object, but that is fine since the OST is dead and gone anyway.

What error messages are posted on the console log (dmesg/syslog)?

Principal Engineer, Lustre Group
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.