[Lustre-discuss] Lost Files - How to remove from MDT

Miguel Afonso Oliveira m.a.oliveira at coimbra.lip.pt
Sun Apr 18 10:26:31 PDT 2010

Hi all,

I had a similar problem with one of my filesystems and from my experience until the actual OST, or another one with the same original index, is present, unlink will not work.
It will give the error message an it will keep on showing the reference to the file.

At the time it somehow made sense to me - an erroneous unlink on a missing file would destroy the file metadata. But now I'm not quite sure this ought to be treated as a
feature or as a bug. We can always create an OST with the index of  the missing one and unlink. Seems to me a safer option but them it would require better documentation.

All the best,

MAO