[Lustre-discuss] Future of LusterFS?

Janne Aho janne at citynetwork.se
Thu Apr 22 00:44:00 PDT 2010

On 22/04/10 08:56, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
On 22/04/10 08:53, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 22. April 2010 08:33:14 schrieb Janne Aho:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Today we have a storage system based on NFS, but we are really concerned
>> about redundancy and are at the brink to take the step to a cluster file
>> system as glusterfs, but we have got suggestions on that lusterfs would
>> have been the best option for us, but at the same time those who
>> "recommended" lusterfs has said that Oracle has pulled the plug and put
>> the resources into OCFS2.
>> If using lusterfs in a production environment, it would be good to know
>> that it won't be discontinued.

On 22/04/10 08:53, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Whoever told you that is mis-informed.  We still have our full team developing Lustre at Oracle, and are planning development into the future.

Andreas, thanks for the reply. :)

>> Will there be a long term future for lusterfs?
>> Or should we be looking for something else for a long term solution?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your reply for my a bit cloudy question.

On 22/04/10 08:56, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:

> for me Lustre is a very good option.
>
> But you also could consider a system composed from
> - corosync for the cluster communication
> - pacemaker as a cluster resource manager
> - DRBD for the replication of data between nodes in a cluster

Michael, thanks for the advice, we will take a big dive into this.

> and
> - NFS
> or
> - OCFS2 or GFS or ...
>
> especially the NFS option provides you with a high available NFS server on
> real cluster stack all managed by pacemaker.

We have had quite a deal of issues with our setup using NFS, one of the
problems has been caused by poor file system selection thanks to the
poor selection of file systems in CentOS/RedHat EL.

--
Janne Aho (Developer) | City Network Hosting AB - www.citynetwork.se
Phone: +46 455 690022 | Cell: +46 733 312775
EMail/MSN: janne at citynetwork.se
ICQ: 567311547 | Skype: janne_mz | AIM: janne4cn | Gadu: 16275665