[Lustre-discuss] Future of LusterFS?

Janne Aho janne at citynetwork.se
Fri Apr 23 01:01:05 PDT 2010

On 22/04/10 17:38, Lundgren, Andrew wrote:

(somehow managed to send this as private mail, while it was ment to be
sent to the list)

sorry being old fashioned and answer inline, but it feels less jeopardy.

> I think the lustre 2.0 release notes indicated that lustre will continue but may only be supported on Oracle hardware by Oracle.
> If you are doing anything else, it seemed like you would be on your own.

In our economical calculation there ain't much space for support fees
and we would getting some 3rd party support from one of our partners.

> That said, http://www.clusterstor.com/ is a new company founded by Peter Braum (the guy who invented Lustre).
> They are creating a new cluster file system as well as supporting Lustre.  They have a customers link off of their website that indicates some of the notables.

Interesting, but a bit hefty price tag for us.

> There is a possibility that there will be a lustre fork in the future.
> Some following Oracle's "opensource" model and the other following the more traditional model.

After reading "After the Software wars" by Keith Curtis, in the long
run, I think I'll be betting on the open source project than the closed one.

We are still here talking a bit about LustreFS vs GlusterFS, as the
first time we will be using a cluster file system it feels quite
difficult what to choose and the same time we need to keep the total
cost as low as possible.

Would lustre have issues if using cheap off the shell components or
would people here think you need to have high end maskines with built in
redundancy for everything?

--
Janne Aho (Developer) | City Network Hosting AB - www.citynetwork.se
Phone: +46 455 690022 | Cell: +46 733 312775
EMail/MSN: janne at citynetwork.se
ICQ: 567311547 | Skype: janne_mz | AIM: janne4cn | Gadu: 16275665