[Lustre-discuss] Two file servers question.

D. Marc Stearman marc at llnl.gov
Tue Aug 10 17:02:08 PDT 2010

At LLNL, we have all the users home directories on NFS servers, and we
use lustre for scratch space/scientific data.

When a user logs in to any of our clusters they have a normal home
directory using all the features of a modern day NAS appliance: quotas
(16-32GB), snapshots, etc, and we back up the users home directory
data.  The NAS volumes may be tens of terabytes.

The lustre space, which is many petabytes, is organized into scratch
file systems mounted on all our clusters under /p/lscratch*.

So a user may login to their homedir as /home/user1, and write all of
their scientific data to /p/lscratcha/user1.  We also do not back up
our lustre scratch space, rather leave it up to the user to copy
important data to our HPSS tape archive.

-Marc

----
D. Marc Stearman
Lustre Operations Lead