[Lustre-discuss] Anyone using this or similar system

Richard Chang rchang.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 23:18:12 PDT 2010

 On 8/10/2010 5:19 PM, James Robnett wrote:
>  I've only just started playing with 2 OSSes based on that chassis.
> They have a:
> Supermicro X8DTH (7 PCI-E 8x slots) motherboard
> Dual quad core Intel Xeon processors
> Four 8 port 3ware 9650 raid controllers (4 OSTs/OSS)
> 1 Mellanox MT26428 QDR Infiniband HCA
> 24 WD2003FYYS hard drives
>
>   The disks are carved into four 4+1+spare R5 arrays for 8 total OST's.
Hello James,

Thanks for sharing your config details.

I heard that rebuilding a 2TB volume will take much longer with R5 and if there is another failure in between rebuilds, we are lost. I was wondering if RAID 6 is better,  i.e., four  4+2 R6 arrays per chassis for a total of 4 OST's per OSS.  Provided the hardware allows creation of R6 arrays.

On that note, does the RAID controller support RAID 6?.

Richard.