[Lustre-discuss] Getting weird disk errors, no apparent impact

David Noriega tsk133 at my.utsa.edu
Thu Aug 12 09:58:55 PDT 2010

We just setup a lustre system, and all looks good, but there is this
nagging error thats floating about. When I reboot any of the nodes, be
it a OSS or MDS, I will get this:

[root at meta1 ~]# dmesg | grep sdc
sdc : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
SCSI device sdc: 4878622720 512-byte hdwr sectors (2497855 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 77 00 10 08
SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write back w/ FUA
sdc : very big device. try to use READ CAPACITY(16).
SCSI device sdc: 4878622720 512-byte hdwr sectors (2497855 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 77 00 10 08
SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write back w/ FUA
 sdc:end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sdc, logical block 0
end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0

This doesn't seem to affect anything. fdisk -l doesn't even report the
device. The same(thought of course different block device sdd, sde, on
the OSSs), happens on all the nodes.

If I run pvdisplay or lvdisplay, I'll get this:
/dev/sdc: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

Any ideas?
David
--
Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities,
we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college!