[Lustre-discuss] Splitting lustre space

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Wed Aug 18 12:14:24 PDT 2010

David Noriega wrote:
> Ok, so I could do
> mount --bind /lustre/home /home
> mount --bind /lustre/groups /groups
>
> Is this a generally accepted practice with Lustre? This just seems so
> much like a nifty trick, but if its what the community uses, then ok.

It is a pretty nifty trick.  Same file system, so the same quotas (if
any) would apply to both
directories.

> But ultimately if I wanted two separate filesystems, I would need more
> hardware? An OST can't be put into a general 'pool' for use between
> the two?

You probably don't need more hardware, but you would have to decide
which file system
each OST would serve -- it can only provide space to one file system.
So some of your
OSTs would be for home and some for groups.  You would need to have 2
MDTs (if
necessary, you could split/partition the MDT you have).

Kevin