[Lustre-discuss] Configuration question

Cliff White cliff.white at oracle.com
Thu Aug 19 15:28:03 PDT 2010

On 08/19/2010 10:59 AM, David Noriega wrote:
> I'm curious about the underlying framework of lustre in regards to failover.
>
> When creating the filesystems, one can provide --failnode=x.x.x.x at tcp0
> and even for the OSTs you can provide two nids for the MDS/MGS. What
> do these options tell lustre and the clients? Are these required for
> use with heartbeat? If so why doesn't that second of the manual
> reference this? Also I think there is a typo in 4.5 Operational
> Scenarios, where it says one can use 'mkfs.lustre --ost --mgs
> --fsname='  That of course returns an error.
>
> David

- The --failnode= parameter gives a list of LNET address that will be
   tried by a 'client' (Client in this case can be a client process on a
   Lustre server, as in OSS talking to failover MDS) in the even of
   dropped connection to the primary address. This is actually un-related
   to the heartbeat setup (which governs services) but critical if
   you wish clients to connect to the new service after failover. So
   it is a necessary part of _any_ Lustre failover whether performed
   by heartbeat or another service.

It is described in the manual, in various places, including section 8.2
Failover Functionality in Lustre and section 4.4.1, please ask further
if that's not clear.

Thanks for the manual typo catch - have filed a bug.

cliffw