[Lustre-discuss] Question on versions, who is going to support what, etc.

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Tue Dec 14 07:42:49 PST 2010

Hi Folks

   We seem to have some choices about which versions to work with.  The
1.8.5 release is the latest rev of the 1.8.x branch, and then there is
the 2.x branch.

   What is the preferred direction for most users and supporters of
Lustre?  That is, will Oracle, OpenSFS, etc. others be focusing upon the
2.x branches going forward with the 1.8.x being a terminal branch, or
will the two branches co-exist in parallel for a while with support for
both from the community?

   If this is a FAQ, and there is a pointer to the answer, by all means,
please point me to it.

   We are trying to get our collective heads around what the current and
future support will look like in the community for Lustre.  I've seen
some slide decks that suggest future directions, but are somewhat
unspecific about which versions will be used as a base for these
developments.  I could guess, but I'd like to hear from others as to the
intentions.

   Thanks!

Joe

--