[Lustre-discuss] Mac OSX connection woes.

Deon Borman deon at blackginger.tv
Fri Feb 5 03:35:32 PST 2010

Hi,

I'm mounting a Lustre file system on a PC and then export the mount via
NFS/SAMBA. Regardless of whether I use NFS or SAMBA, if I try and copy a
file on a Mac via finder, I get a message saying "You may need to enter
the name and password for an administrator on this computer to change
the item named test.mov". I click on Continue, then get "The item
"test.mov" contains one or more items you do not have permission to
read. Do you want to copy the items you are allowed to read?" Again I
click on continue and then finally get "The operation cannot be
completed because an item with the name "test.mov" already exists." A
file gets created on the server, but is empty and another file of 4kB
named ._test.mov gets created. If I delete those files and repeat this
process from the command line, the file is copied to the server, even
though I get the following error message:

macky:~ admin$ cp /Users/admin/Documents/test.mov /Volumes/test/deon/
cp: /Users/admin/Documents/test.mov: could not copy extended attributes
to /Volu
mes/test/deon/test.mov: Permission denied
macky:~ admin$ ls -lah /Volumes/test/deon/
total 41758
drwxr-xr-x  2 admin  staff    16K Feb  5 12:57 .
drwx------  0 admin  staff    16K Feb  2 18:04 ..
-rwxr--r--  1 admin  staff   4.0K Feb  5 12:57 ._test.mov
-rw-rw----  1 admin  staff     9B Feb  5 12:49 test
-rw-r--r--  1 admin  staff    20M Feb  5 12:57 test.mov

I thought, and Google seemed to support my theory, that it might be
because I mounted the lustre fs without the user_xattr mount option. So
I remounted it with that option and I can set extended attributes on the
Linux box, as a normal user, just as you would expect:

[deon at master deon]$ getfattr -d test
[deon at master deon]$ setfattr -n user.foo -v bar test
[deon at master deon]$ getfattr -d test
# file: test
user.foo="bar"

[deon at master deon]$ ls -alh
total 21M
drwxr-xr-x 2 deon Domain Users 4.0K Feb  5 12:57 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root         4.0K Feb  2 18:04 ..
-rw-rw---- 1 deon Domain Users    9 Feb  5 12:49 test
-rwxr--r-- 1 deon Domain Users 4.0K Feb  5 12:57 ._test.mov
-rw-r--r-- 1 deon Domain Users  21M Feb  5 12:57 test.mov

The problem remains in OSX, though. On a normal ext3 file system,
mounted with the options acl,user_xattr (same as for Lustre), it works
just fine on either protocol. So what am I missing here?

Maybe some extra info might be applicable: I use LDAP as backend for
authentication and a Samba PDC. So when I connect to the Lustre fs via
Samba, I authenticate against the PDC and the user mapping is handled by
Samba. This would be my preferred choice, as all the Mac users already
know how to do this. For NFS, I use the following /etc/exports file:

/mnt/lustrexattrtest
192.168.0.103(rw,insecure,sync,subtree_check,all_squash,anonuid=1500,anongid=513)

Granted the NFS hack is probably not ideal, but it relieves the Mac
users from having to know anything remotely technical.

Thanks in advance,
Deon

--
Deon Borman