[Lustre-discuss] 16T LUNs

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Feb 10 13:41:55 PST 2010

On 2010-02-10, at 07:39, Roger Spellman wrote:
> Thank you.  Based on the kernel version string, we had assumed that
> SLES
> was closer to the latest kernel.org release than RHEL.  That appears
> not
> to be the case.
>
> Just curious, why the limit is now 16T?  This works nicely for 2T
> drives
> in an 8+2 RAID 6.  But, is there a reason that the limit couldn't be
> much higher, say 64T or 256T?

Two reasons for this:
- primarily, the upstream e2fsprogs does not yet have full support for
 >16TB
   filesystems, and while experimental patches exist there are still
bugs
   being found occasionally in that code
- there is a certain amount of testing that we need to do before we
can say
   that Lustre supports that configuration

That said, with 1.8.2 it is still possible to format the filesystem
with the experimental 64-bit e2fsprogs, and mount the OSTs with "-o
force_over_16tb" and test this out yourselves.  Feedback is of course
welcome.  I would suggest running "llverfs" on the mounted Lustre
filesystem (or other tool which can post-facto verify the data being
written) to completely fill an OST, probably unmount/remount it to
clear any cache, and then read the data back and ensure that you are
getting the correct data back.  Running an "e2fsck -f" on the OST
would also help verify the on-disk filesystem structure.

At some point we will likely conduct this same testing and
"officially" support this configuration, but it wasn't done for
1.8.2.  At some point, the e2fsck overhead of a large ext4/ldiskfs
filesystem becomes too high to support huge configurations (e.g.
larger than, say, 128TB if even that).  While ext4 and e2fsprogs have
gotten a lot of improvements to speed up e2fsck time, there is a limit
to what can be done with this.