[Lustre-discuss] File joining mechanism

Lex lexluthor87 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 07:23:06 PST 2010

Hi guys

I have some questions about file joining mechanism in lustre, so i post here
and hope you can help me to clarify it :)

As we know, lustre use the split writing and hierarchy striping to
distribute file object ( subfile)  to many osts in the cluster. When a
client request one file ( over mds metadata ), these objects are retrieve
from each ost to client.

So, the question is: when and where these objects are joined together to
become a real file ?

Just guess, are there joined together in OSSs? If it's true, how these OSSs
connect together to join its objects together? ( For example, assuming we
have 2 OSSs, each OSS have 1 OST, file are striped across to 2 these OSTs.
When a client request a file, i get to object in 2 different OST from 2
different OSSs, so how these objects can combined together? )

Any help would be appreciated :)

Many thanks