[Lustre-discuss] slow direct_io , slow journal .. in OST log

Lex lexluthor87 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:06:08 PST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lex <lexluthor87 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Lustre-discuss] slow direct_io , slow journal .. in OST log
To: Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca>
Cc: Erik Froese <erik.froese at gmail.com>

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM, Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

>  Sorry Erik if i'm rising such a "bad" question, could u tell me more about
>> OST journal device ? I even don't know what it is as well as haven't seen
>> it
>> before, in the lustre manual.
>>

> an OST is an ext3-ish filesystem associated with some OST server processes.
> since it's basically ext3, the properties of ext3 apply, including the use
> of a journal, and the ability to use an "external" journal device.

I think we don't have any separate or external journal device like you said.
So could anyone tell me exactly what stuff make the warning about slow xxx
in our OST logs like i described above is ? Is there any role of lustre in
this situation ? And how? What is the relationship with journal device and
my problem ?

Best regards