[Lustre-discuss] best practice for lustre clustre startup

Lisa Giacchetti lisa at fnal.gov
Thu Jul 1 09:29:14 PDT 2010

Hello,
  I have recently installed a lustre cluster which is in a test phase
now but will potentially be in 24x7 production if its accepted.
  I would like input from the list on what the recommendations/best
practices are for configuration of a lustre cluster startup.
  Is it advisable to have lustre on the various server pieces
(mgs/mdt/oss's) start automatically? If not why not?
  If you try to start it and there is a very serious problem will it
abort the startup or just continue on blindly?

  Again this is going to need to be a 24x7 service for a compute
facility that which has global access (ie someone is always
  up and running something). We'd like  to be able to at least get the
service back up in an automated way if at all possible and then debug
  problems when the support staff are awake/available.

  Lisa Giacchetti