[Lustre-discuss] best practice for lustre clustre startup

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Thu Jul 1 10:17:31 PDT 2010

My (personal) opinion:

Lustre clients should always start (mount) automatically.

Lustre servers should have their services started through heartbeat (or
other HA package), if failover is possible (be sure to configure stonith).

If heartbeat starts automatically, do ensure auto-failback is NOT
enabled: fail the resources back manually after you verify the rebooted
server is healthy.
Whether heartbeat starts automatically seems to be a preference issue.

While unlikely, it is possible for an issue to cause Lustre to not start
successfully, resulting in a node crash or other issue preventing a
login.  So if it does start automatically you'll want to be prepared to
reboot w/o Lustre (eg, single-user mode).

Kevin