[Lustre-discuss] Adding OST to online Lustre with quota

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Wed Jul 7 07:48:53 PDT 2010

On 2010-07-06, at 10:10, Fan Yong wrote:
> On 7/5/10 4:21 PM, Gizo Nanava wrote:
>>       we wounder whether  is it possible to add OSTs to the Lustre with
>> quota support without making  it offline?
>> We tried to do this but all quota information was lost. Despite the fact
>> that OST was formatted with quota support
>> we are receiving this error message:
>>
>> Lustre: 3743:0:(lproc_quota.c:447:lprocfs_quota_wr_type())
>> lustrefs-OST0016: quotaon failed because quota files don't exist, please
>> run quotacheck firstly
>>
>> The message suggest to run the quotacheck command again, but maybe there
>> is a faster solution.
>>

> Quotacheck is the normal process, but it maybe some slowly.
>
> The basic idea is to generate lquota_v2.user / lquota_v2.group without
> quotacheck on target Lustre system, there are other similar ways for that.

To be honest, I don't think this is a desirable solution.  It should be possible to automatically create these quota files the first time that a new OST is mounted, since we know at that point that the filesystem is empty and there will be no quota usage for any user on the OST.

Lustre Technical Lead
Oracle Corporation Canada Inc.