[Lustre-discuss] Adding OST to online Lustre with quota

Fan Yong Yong.Fan at Sun.COM
Tue Jul 6 09:10:18 PDT 2010

On 7/5/10 4:21 PM, Gizo Nanava wrote:
>       Hello,
>
>         we wounder whether  is it possible to add OSTs to the Lustre with
> quota support without making  it offline?
> We tried to do this but all quota information was lost. Despite the fact
> that OST was formatted with quota support
> we are receiving this error message:
>
> Lustre: 3743:0:(lproc_quota.c:447:lprocfs_quota_wr_type())
> lustrefs-OST0016: quotaon failed because quota files don't exist, please
> run quotacheck firstly
>
> The message suggest to run the quotacheck command again, but maybe there
> is a faster solution.

Quotacheck is the normal process, but it maybe some slowly. If you do
not want to perform
quotacheck which affect all servers, there maybe one possible solution
(if the OST to be added is a clean one):

build another small lustre locally and perform quotacheck on such lustre
system, and then umount
one of OST and remount it as ldiskfs (and mount target OST to be added
as ldiskfs also),
cope the lquota_v2.user / lquota_v2.group to the target OST, remount the
target OST as lustre.

The basic idea is to generate lquota_v2.user / lquota_v2.group without
quotacheck on target Lustre system,
there are other similar ways for that.

Just try, anyway it will not destroy the current Lustre system.

--
Fan Yong
>    Could you please someone tell us a proper procedure, or point to a
> proper documentation?
>
>    Thank you for any help. Best wishes, Gizo Nanava

Fan Yong
Lustre Group