[Lustre-discuss] Confusion regarding deactivating OSTs

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at Oracle.COM
Fri Jul 9 11:56:58 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 11:00 -0700, Adeyemi Adesanya wrote:

> Hi.

Hi,

> Is there any way of preventing all kinds
> of write activity to the OST (not just new object creation)?

No, since that would prevent updating a file since we do not have any
COW (copy-on-write) semantics.  Out of interest's sake, given that we
lack COW semantics, are you proposing that your users get "read only"
errors on (sections of) files where those objects lie on such an OST?
Or were you assuming COW semantics?

b.