[Lustre-discuss] Confusion regarding deactivating OSTs

Andreas Dilger andreas.dilger at oracle.com
Sat Jul 10 08:57:29 PDT 2010

It is possible for the clients to mount the whole Filesystem read-only, which sets a flag on the MDS and OST for that client to have it return -EROFS for any Filesystem modifying operations.

However, it isn't possible to mount the OST itself read-only today. At one time there were patches in bugzilla that started to investigate this but they were never finished and landed.

I suspect it wouldn't be too much worknfor someone to try mounting the OST with the "-o ro" mount option and then fixing the few places at mount time that are depending on being able to write to the filesystem. At the same time, I suspect that this isn't what you want to be doing when your system is already down, so it will have to be at a later time perhaps.

Cheers, Andreas