[Lustre-discuss] Enable async journals

Frank Heckes f.heckes at fz-juelich.de
Tue Jul 13 05:53:00 PDT 2010

Hi all,

we use SLES 11 and Lustre 1.8.1.1 + patches and like convert a lustre FS
using external journals to one with async journals enabled.
Question is whether the procedure:

umount <filesystem>             on all clients
umount <osts>                   on all OSSes
e2fsck <ost-device>             on all OSSes for all all OSTs
tune2fs -O ^has_journal <ost-device> on all OSSes for all all OSTs
lctl set_param obdfilter.*.sync_journal=0  on all OSSes
mount <osts>                    on all OSSes
mount <filesystem>              on all clients

is correct to do the job? (I hope it isn't neccessary to recreate a FS
from scratch.) Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

-Frank Heckes

P.S.: 1.8.1.1 still contains some bugs which have been fixed in 1.8.3.
Described setup is for test purpose only, but the procedure shall be
used in the final environment (using lustre 1.8.3), too.

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDirig Dr. Karl Eugen Huthmacher
Dr. Ulrich Krafft (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt,
Prof. Dr. Sebastian M. Schmidt