[Lustre-discuss] How efficient is 'lfs find'?

Adesanya, Adeyemi yemi at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Jul 15 14:46:25 PDT 2010

Hi.

We are working on coming up with a backup plan for our Lustre filesystem in case we ever lose an OST in the future. I like the idea of backing up the filesystem at the client level and then identifying what files were stored on a missing OST using 'lfs find'. There are also some useful 'lfs find' commands that may assist us in migrating/purging old data such as the use of the '--atime' and '--mtime' options. Can someone comment on the efficiency of 'lfs find'? Does it only query the MDT or will it also read data on the OSTs?

-------
Yemi