[Lustre-discuss] Per directory quota

Kevin Van Maren kevin.van.maren at oracle.com
Fri Jul 16 06:43:46 PDT 2010

On Jul 16, 2010, at 7:17 AM, "Christopher J.Walker" <C.J.Walker at qmul.ac.uk
 > wrote:

> I know Lustre can do quotas per user, but can Lustre do quotas on a
> per
> directory basis?

No, Lustre does not support directory (fileset) based quotas.

> I can't work out how to do this from the manual.
>
> To be more specific, the software we use[1] is written by people using
> GPFS and we'd like an equivalent to the GPFS command:
>
>    mmlsquota -j
>
> which AIUI finds out how much space is used under a directory.
>
> We could use
>
>    du --summarize mydirectory
>
> but for a directory containing a large number of files, this takes a
> long time - and is presumably not very  efficient. If there were an
> "lfs
> du" it would presumably be more efficient, but even so, probably still
> resource intensive.

Without size-on-mds, either way would have to query both the mds and
each OST to get the size info.  Not being that familiar with size-on-
mds, it does seem likely that "du" would still have to query the OST
for size info, even when "ls -l" does not.