[Lustre-discuss] Lustre kernel support as KVM host?

Steven Timm timm at fnal.gov
Tue Jul 20 14:16:17 PDT 2010

We are trying a test configuration in which a host
machine runs the redhat-patched lustre kernel
2.6.18-164.11.1.el5_lustre.1.8.3 and then simultaneously
serves as a host for one or more kvm-based virtual machines.

My questions:
1) normally the kernel modules for KVM in the redhat world
are supplied by an rpm called kmod-kvm.. does anyone have
matching binaries for these that match the above lustre
kernel, or instructions on how they could be compiled.

2) Supposing that these four modules (ksm.ko, kvm-amd.ko,
kvm-intel.ko, and kvm.ko) can be found somewhere, is the
underlying lustre kernel mentioned above, compiled with a configuration
such that it could run them?  I've looked at the config file
and it isn't obvious.

On this hardware with a stock redhat kernel, it reports that
I can run a fully-virtualized host.  But under the above lustre kernel
it says that no virtualization options are available.  Is that
by design

Does anyone have experience running recent lustre kernels with
KVM either as a host or as a virtual machine guest?

Thanks

Steve Timm