[Lustre-discuss] Lustre kernel support as KVM host?

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at oracle.com
Thu Jul 22 09:38:57 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-07-20 at 16:16 -0500, Steven Timm wrote:
> We are trying a test configuration in which a host
> machine runs the redhat-patched lustre kernel
> 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5_lustre.1.8.3 and then simultaneously
> serves as a host for one or more kvm-based virtual machines.

For the record, we recommend against running anything except Lustre on
Lustre servers.  That said...

> My questions:
> 1) normally the kernel modules for KVM in the redhat world
> are supplied by an rpm called kmod-kvm.. does anyone have
> matching binaries for these that match the above lustre
> kernel, or instructions on how they could be compiled.

We don't rebuild the kmod-* RPMs with our patched kernel, per the above.
Everything you need to run a Lustre server with a Lustre patched kernel
is in the kernel and lustre-modules RPMs.  If you want to do anything
beyond that, you will have to rebuild the kmod-* RPMs yourself.

> 2) Supposing that these four modules (ksm.ko, kvm-amd.ko,
> kvm-intel.ko, and kvm.ko) can be found somewhere, is the
> underlying lustre kernel mentioned above, compiled with a configuration
> such that it could run them?

I'm not sure.  Given that it is not a use-case we support, it's entirely
likely that it's not.

b.