[Lustre-discuss] I/O error on clients

Peter Kitchener pkitchener at cmcrc.com
Tue Jul 20 17:05:04 PDT 2010

Hi All,

So I've applied the patch for the bug 22897 to the 1.8.2 source etc and rebuilt the lustre rpms. So far our development team has reported an improvement in the frequency of the I/O Errors but still not enough for them to be 100% happy.

In the mean time i've been double checking all the settings and understanding the timeouts etc. As we use software RAID on the OSTs I've made sure that the setup of these are as the operations manual states.

My next port of call is going to be to update the bnx2x driver that our BCM57711 10Gig Ethernet cards use on all the clients and MDT/OSTs. I doubt that its going to make a difference but the version of the driver is the CentOS 5.4 driver.

I have also had a snoop round the switch to make sure there isn't any funny setting floating round that could also be the cause of the problem.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Peter Kitchener
Systems Administrator
Capital Markets CRC Limited (CMCRC)
Telephone: +61 2 8088 4223
Fax: +61 2 8088 4201
www.cmcrc.com

Capital Markets CRC Ltd - Confidential Communication
The information contained in this e-mail is confidential.  It is intended for the addressee only.  If you receive this e-mail by mistake please promptly inform us by reply e-mail and then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed copy. You must not disclose or use in any way the information in the e-mail. There is no warranty that this e-mail is error or virus free. It may be a private communication, and if so, does not represent the views of the CMCRC and its associates.  If it is a private communication, care should be taken in opening it to ensure that undue offence is not given.