[Lustre-discuss] Selective e2fsprogs installation on Ubuntu

Ramiro Alba Queipo raq at cttc.upc.edu
Wed Jun 2 01:21:51 PDT 2010

Hi Guy,

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 19:08 +0100, Guy Coates wrote:
> On 01/06/10 08:23, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> > Hi everybody:
> >
> > I've just compiled the last patched e2fsprogs (1.41.10) package suitable
> > for the last lustre version (1.8.3) and I had some booting problems when
> > overriding some existing files in original packages (Ubuntu LTS 10.04),
> > so I thought it would be better to install only the needed programs from
> > patched e2fsprogs:
> >
> > Clients:
> > --------
> >

> Have you tried the package from backports? That will save yourself alot
> of grief.
>
> http://pkg-lustre.alioth.debian.org/backports/ldiskfsprogs-1.41.10/

No I did not tried, but I saw it the other day at sid repository and
downloaded it. Now I can see it is also at squeeze. The only thing is
that it only contains two progs: lfsck for clients and ldiskfsck to
check MDT/OST on servers, but what about mke2fs (called by
'mkfs.lustre'), tune2fs and dumpe2fs (am I missing something?)

> I suspect your problem is that the e2fsprogs build process will try and
> install  binaries into /usr/sbin.  Unfortunately debian/ubuntu expects
> most of the e2fsprogs binaries to be in /sbin.

Yes, of course. I decided to move every existing binary to the same path
as the original one and overwrite them. This affected 3 packages
(e2fsprogs, util-linux and uuid-runtime). Finally I did overwrite
binaries on e2fsprogs only.

> On debian, that causes the system boot scripts to fail to find fsck.extX
> and findfs, which results in the init scripts  not being able to find
> the root filesystem, or deciding that the filesystem is catastrophically
> broken. (Yes, I did find that out the hard way...)

Yes that's right. I did not research the problem but I had a look at a
valid initrd generated image and suppressed fsck, blkid and findfs (all
in util-linux package)and it worked) Then I focused on only installing
the binaries strictly needing by lustre.

I thought a solution could be to only overwrite (divert) the 'mke2fs'
binary and install as other names tune2fs (ldisktune?), e2fsck
(ldiskfsck) and dumpe2fs (ldiskdump?). Again, am I missing something
lustre need?
Is tune.lustre calling tune2fs like mkfs.lustre does? (I could not see
why?).

What did you finally do?

Cheers

--
Ramiro Alba

Centre Tecnològic de Tranferència de Calor
http://www.cttc.upc.edu

Escola Tècnica Superior d'Enginyeries
Industrial i Aeronàutica de Terrassa
Colom 11, E-08222, Terrassa, Barcelona, Spain
Tel: (+34) 93 739 86 46

--
Aquest missatge ha estat analitzat per MailScanner
a la cerca de virus i d'altres continguts perillosos,