[Lustre-discuss] Selective e2fsprogs installation on Ubuntu

Guy Coates gmpc at sanger.ac.uk
Tue Jun 1 11:08:02 PDT 2010

On 01/06/10 08:23, Ramiro Alba Queipo wrote:
> Hi everybody:
>
> I've just compiled the last patched e2fsprogs (1.41.10) package suitable
> for the last lustre version (1.8.3) and I had some booting problems when
> overriding some existing files in original packages (Ubuntu LTS 10.04),
> so I thought it would be better to install only the needed programs from
> patched e2fsprogs:
>
> Clients:
> --------

Have you tried the package from backports? That will save yourself alot
of grief.

http://pkg-lustre.alioth.debian.org/backports/ldiskfsprogs-1.41.10/

I suspect your problem is that the e2fsprogs build process will try and
install  binaries into /usr/sbin.  Unfortunately debian/ubuntu expects
most of the e2fsprogs binaries to be in /sbin.

On debian, that causes the system boot scripts to fail to find fsck.extX
and findfs, which results in the init scripts  not being able to find
the root filesystem, or deciding that the filesystem is catastrophically
broken. (Yes, I did find that out the hard way...)

Cheers,

Guy

--
Dr Guy Coates,  Informatics System Group
The Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute, Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1HH, UK