[Lustre-discuss] Upgrading From Lustre 1.4 to 1.8

Brian J. Murrell Brian.Murrell at Oracle.COM
Thu Jun 10 13:10:30 PDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-06-10 at 16:04 -0400, Adam wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> Would lustre 1.8 be able to work with an LFS created by 1.4?

As 1.4 has been EOL for nearly (if not more) 2 years now, we have done
no interoperability testing between 1.4 and 1.8.  I would be very
surprised if they do inter-operate.

> The 1.8
> rolling upgrade strategy discussed on the Lustre wiki is wonderful (
> http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Upgrading_to_a_New_Version_of_Lustre#Performing_a_Rolling_Upgrade),

Yes, it is.  :-)

> but it only mentions compatibility with 1.6;

That's right, because that's the extent of the testing we have done with
it.

> I'm curious if it
> would/should also work with an older version of Lustre like 1.4.

Yes, a rolling upgrade from (perhaps only later versions of) 1.4 to 1.6
should work and then a rolling upgrade from 1.6 to 1.8.

I would consider trying to upgrade from 1.4 to 1.8 a very risky, and
likely-to-fail, proposition.

b.